Opticare Optician’s tips to help keep your eyes healthy.
- Have regular eye tests (especially with 3D OCT eye scanning). Eye tests are important for picking up potential eye and general health issues. Despite this, a recent study showed that in the UK almost 30% of people haven’t had an eye test in the last 2 years.
- Regular exercise is shown to reduce the chances of developing serious eye conditions such as glaucoma and macular degeneration.
- Eating a balanced diet will help to keep your eyes healthy. Especially foods high in omega 3, citrus fruit and leafy green vegetables, eggs, nuts and seeds.
- Quit Smoking- Smoking contributes to a lot of eye health issues. In fact, smokers are up to four times more likely to lose their sight than non-smokers.
- Research has shown that children who play outdoors are less likely to become short sighted, or to become more short sighted.
- Take breaks from computer screens, as staring at them for too long can cause dry irritated eyes.
- When out in the sun, wear sunglasses with UV protection, as UV exposure can increase your risk of cataracts and macular degeneration.